Sunday, January 28, 2007

Formosa

Formosa, Formosa, the beautiful isle!
Thy beauty stretches on, mile after mile.
From the heights of thy mountains to thy coast by the sea,
Thou art a sight of true beauty, as grand as can be.

Home of my past, home to my blood,
Home of my fathers, whom tilled through thy mud.
I dream often, my friend, of returning to thee,
O glorious island, upon the blue sea.

Formosa, Formosa, how I long to hear
The waves from the sea, that crash without fear
Upon thy coast, eroding the rocks to forge,
Such breathtaking views as Taroko Gorge.

Formosa, Formosa, how I long to feel,
The wind off the ocean, the breeze so real,
Bringing welcome relief from thy insufferable heat,
A hint of coolness in summer, which nothing can beat.

Formosa, Formosa, how I long to taste,
The food of thy night markets, prepared in haste,
Seafood and tofu, and other treats galore,
Cuisine so delicious, I crave always for more.

Formosa, Formosa, how I long to smell,
The scent of tea leaves, which all can tell
Come from the hills above thy western plains,
Tea so fresh, that it brings thee worldwide fame.

Formosa, Formosa, how I long to see,
The sun o'er thy mountains, as bright as can be.
Up so high and afar, I can breathe the fresh air,
Looking down at the plains, the view so fair.

Forever Formosa, may thou livest in peace.
Always Formosa, may thy spirit ne'er cease.
May freedom prevail on this glorious land,
May Formosans walk together, hand in hand.

Formosa, Formosa, no matter how long I stray,
Whether I must leave for a year or a day,
Formosa, my love, my heart lies with thee,
No matter how far I go, thou art always home to me.